Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Baby Is Breech!

“All natural birth has a purpose and a plan; who would think of tearing open the chrysalis as the butterfly is emerging? Who would break the shell to pull the chick out?” ~ Marie Mongon

I LOVE this quote!!

Well, last Thursday I went to the Doctor for my 38 week visit. He always feels near my pubic bones to see if the baby's head is there.... up until now, he had felt her head down, no problem! This week, he didn't seem as sure. It was my option to have an internal exam, and even though I didn't think it necessary, I thought it couldn't hurt.

I got in the little paper doctor's office skirt, not especially thrilled about this uncomfortable procedure.

The Doctor said I was 2-3 centimeters dilated already. Then he seemed worried and asked if the baby was moving alot still. I said she moved all the time!

The Doctor said my baby was Frank Breech.
He said that what he felt was too soft to be a head.... Then he left to go get the ultrasound machine. I was a little freaked out by this point, as you can imagine!

The ultrasound showed a perfectly healthy happy baby...besides the fact that her head was up by my ribs rather then in my pelvis. UGH!

I wanted to cry.

My Doctor was so calming about the situation, but I was still scared.  I've wanted to have a natural birth as free of drugs and pain killers as possible. But delivering a butt first instead of a head? Now that sounds painful!! The Doctor told me about a procedure called the External Cephalic Version. Basically they give you a drug to relax your uterus, then manipulate your stomach to move the baby. He said this often causes stress to the baby, which obviously isn't good! He mentioned how some women lay upside down and try different procedures, but at this point the baby is big and cramped in my uterus so it will be difficult to move.

He did say I have the option of delivering a breech baby vaginally, but most women don't. Surprisingly, I found out a couple days later that most doctors now are not even trained to deliver a breech baby!

The Doctor said my baby was Frank breech. And apparently this is the safest position for her to be in if she was breech. If the feet are down, it is more likely for there to be problems with the umbilical cord.

So basically at this point, I was facing two options. Either I get the baby to flip around somehow, or a c-section. Neither of which sounds attractive.

My mom had 5 kids. The very last one was pronounced breech in the last few weeks of her pregnancy. She was going to deliver Abigail vaginally if she didn't turn around. She laid upside down on a board....did acupuncture.... played a radio down by her underwear...anything to get her to turn. And she did! So of course as soon as I got out of the doctor's office, I called her.

What would I do without my mother!!!

She told me not to be worried. I still could get her to flip if she was meant to. If not, then a c-section is not the end of the world. She brought me from wanting to go cry in a corner to knowing I could do anything in my power to turn her.

Well....it's been 5 days since I went to the doctor. I am now 39 weeks. She has not turned yet, that I can tell. Here are the things I have done so far.

-Elevated my hips 1-2 feet above my head. I placed about 3 thick pillow under my hips and stayed in this position for awhile...til I felt sick basically. :)

-Kneeling on the couch with my elbows on the ground. This position is a little difficult to get into...and blood rushes to your head. Just hold it there for about 30 seconds. Repeat it several times.

-Kneeling on the floor-knees and elbows. This is a more comfortable position then the last one. I've been in this position and just reading. It supposedly helps if you wiggle your spread hips around...get her to know where she should be!


The point on the little toe where they perform
moxibustion.
-Get in a pool or deep tub. My parents have an awesome bathtub that is really deep. No gravity in water is supposed to confuse the baby and get her to turn. I also went to the YMCA and used the pool to do handstands...some somersaults (even though I am so awful at them!) and just see if the weightlessness would turn her.

-Music, talking, singing near your pubic area. My fiance talked to her for over an hour the other night and sang to her. The response was amazing!! She didn't turn, but this little girl knows her daddy! :) I've also been playing music down there.

-Acupuncture. I don't know if this works, but my mom said this is what turned her baby.  I went just yesterday to get this done. They stuck little thin needles in all sorts of pressure points on my body. The main point is the baby toe. They not only put a needle in my toe, but also electrically stimulated it and heated the area with mugwort herb. It sounds crazy, but it makes total sense why it works. The Doctor explained everything she did and it was amazing. She was even able to tell the sex of my baby by my pulse. That's beside the point, so anyways, she gave me moxa to burn near my toe at home. I'm doing it everyday. We shall see if it works!

-Webster Technique. I haven't done this, but it sounds like it would work great if I knew where to get it done!

These are just a few things I have done. At this point, I am going to continue burning the moxa near my little toe everyday, going to the pool, and kneeling in head-down positions. If she still doesn't turn, I don't think she is meant to. Sometimes the baby will stay in this position for a good reason! Perhaps the cord is around her neck... or she just can't move right now. Also, it is my first child, so my uterus is tight and at 39 weeks, she is less likely to turn.

I pray I don't have to get a c-section. But honestly, the only thing I care about is the health of my little girl. Whatever will get her out the safest, whether it be a c-section, breech delivery....I don't care anymore. All I want is to hold my baby and be over with everythin. :) Hopefully it will be within the next week or so!

Time for you to pop out little girl! :)




-

No comments:

Post a Comment